Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Happy Fat Tuesday.

Good evening friends :)

I actually just learned about the meaning of Fat Tuesday maybe 2 hours ago.  On Wikipedia.  I'm embarrassed to state this fact, but yes, it's a fact.  

As many of you are aware, and many unaware, tomorrow is Ash Wednesday.  I did not grow up in a Catholic home nor know many that attended a Catholic church so the customs/beliefs are still fuzzy and strange to me.  That being so, I am most definitely always up for learning!  With Ash Wednesday comes Lent. The goal is to leave Lent a stronger and more vital person of faith than when we entered.  Over the years I have met many good friends who strictly adhere to the penance that comes with Lent but have never really given it much thought.  This year is a bit different.  My neighbor and very good friend, Ms. Mariel Garcia is giving something up this year for Lent as she has done for many years now.  The only difference in this year (as far as myself and this blog are concerned) is that she is giving up grains, legumes, dairy and sugar!  Yep.  She's going Paleo for 40 days.  She requested a bit of schooling from Evan and myself :)  I told her to bring her library card...



We just completed a dining room meeting on what to eat and what not to eat and how Paleo is possible.  Evan and I will be joining Mariel in Lent this year and posting daily of our progress and woes.  I'm looking forward to this!  We'll see just how disciplined we can be!  
 




1 comment:

  1. Haha...I love the pictures. Those crack me up! I am so very glad you are looking into the Catholic practice of Lent! Though challenging, I look forward to this season every year because it really does renew you and keep you reflecting on things other than oneself and more focused on God. If you ever want to learn more about the strange (and yes, I agree, they do seem strange at first....LOL!) practices of the Catholic Church, let me know, and I'd be glad to share. Or if you just want to talk about how blessed we are and faith in general, that works too :) God is good...all the time. I thank Him for you!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete