Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Library De Paleo- in the making. And some grain bashing.

I want to own every paleo book out there.  This seemed achievable when Evan and I first began our switch to paleo lifestyles but now we are lagging behind as more and more books are being published and more and more people jump on the paleo bandwagon.  But, this is definitely a GOOD thing.

I have read:

Plus have several paleo cookbooks.

And I follow numerous paleo-minded blogs.

Still on my WANT list:

ETC...  
You see, it's tough keeping up but I'm so thankful for so many good reads and the abundance of information available.  I still have much to learn and will forever be expanding my knowledge for both personal and public use.

Not only have I enjoyed the initial cover to cover reading of my paleo books but they make excellent reference tools when asked questions on whole grains or autoimmune diseases or anything paleo related.  Obviously.

Today I pulled Loren Cordain's The Paleo Answer from the shelf and skipped ahead to the chapter "Grains are antinutritious."

Just to clarify, here are some excerpts :)

Fiber: "Although whole grains have four times more fiber than refined grains do, they are lightweights when compared to either fresh fruits or veggies.  Furthermore, the insoluble fiber found in every whole grain except oats does not have a blood cholesterol-lowering effect as does soluble fiber present in fresh fruits and vegetables."

Phytate: "It may seem as if whole grains are a great source of calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc.  Not true.  All whole grains contain an antinutrient called phytate or phytic acid, which binds these minerals and makes them unavailable for absorption in our gastrointestinal tracts.  ...the more whole grains you eat, the more likely you will become deficient in these minerals"

"Excessive whole-grain consumption adversely effects skeletal health by impairing vitamin D and calcium metabolism.  The more whole grains you include in your diet, the less calcium will be available to build and maintain a healthy skeleton."




No comments:

Post a Comment